Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

It's a 2005 meridian with twin Cummings 6ctb 8.3 with only…

Customer Question
It's a 2005 meridian with...
It's a 2005 meridian with twin Cummings 6ctb 8.3 with only 7hundred hours. It starts right up but both engines blow black smoke and won't go over 18hundred RPM s. If it push it for about 3 or more minutes then it revs up to max and seems to run fine. I did have to Change my Airseps because the silencers in side were very gritty I changed all filters and just had the bottom done.Thank you.For your help.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 day by:
9/21/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 11 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, sorry for the delay. Do you have boost gauges on these engines? Have you done any prop work lately?

No bost gauge.No prop change.just did all the one year maintenance ...Its only the starboard engine. I was told that if it does not spool up the port engine will not pull hard. Iam thinking that the turbo is sticking or the cooler needs to be cleaned. After about a few minutes it will rev up
.I had it running at full RPMs yesterday and it was fine after it took a bit to rev up.It just started doing this so i did the service and still does it. THANK YOU.
A

I tend to agree, black smoke and low power is indicative of low air flow and that can either be because of a restriction or because the turbo is not spooling up. On your boat, can you access the turbo inlet to see how hard it is to turn the blades?

Ok.i will . I was doing the service and i noticed that on the inside of my airsep canister there is a coating that is to quite the noise from the turbos.when i touched it the coating came off on my fingers. Its like very fine samd papper. I called airsep and they said after 10years the whole system should be changed. So 17hundred dollars later i installed them . Point is that could the material cause a probem. .also what can i use to spray the turbos to clean them.
Thanks again. Bill.

Well, if they have visible build up on the vanes you could get some carb cleaner and that should remove the varnish. But if the turbine is sticky to turn then it may have to have bearings as they could be coked up.

Ok. I will work on it weekend. Not sure how easy the turbo on the intake side should turn..I remember turning it and it took a little bit to turn it. Ok. Is it possible it can be the cooler.Thank you again.

Yes, it could be the cooler also. What I would do first is compare the port and starboard turbos, you know one is working properly. If they feel the same then explore the cooler.

Ok. Thank you so much. Great help. I will update you when i work on it.

Sounds good.