Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a mercury 96 mercury 115 2+2. it is loading up on…

Customer Question
I have a mercury 96...
I have a mercury 96 mercury 115 2+2. it is loading up on cyls 3&4 at idle . have checked carbs & fuel pump diaphragm. it ran good till it sat for about 6 months. drained tank & remixed fuel. the oil injection has been removed for years. I know carbs have no low speed jets. remove the 3&4 plugs and they are wet with fuel . not sure if any thing else controls lower cyls. also checked booster valve. thanks for any help.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Boat
9/18/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you have the serial number for the engine?

no but I will get it get back with you . been tied up last few days.
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago

Just reply with it when you can.

Also, what is the current idle speed of the engine?

the serial # og4 21373 or og421o78 cant hardly see it. as for the idle it running so bad you cant control the idle. if I try to idle it down it goes dead. when its running its pouring out smoke you cant hardly stand around it. I may have you call me in a day or two have been hammered at work . Trying to get time to talk to you. I can do it easier talking then typing

The serial number is ***** The other one you posted is to a 75/90.

For the excess smoke, That depends on how you have it mixed.

When you checked the fuel pump diaphragms, how did you do this? Take it totally apart and inspect them? If you did not do it this way, There is another way to test it. Remove the outer hose from the face of it, then remove the two bolts that hold it to the block, leaving the other two bolts in to hold it together and the fuel hoses on. Use your primer bulb and see if there is any fuel coming from the elbow in the front or the hole in the back of the pump. If there is either, you need to rebuild the pump.

There are also two heck valves on the right side of the block that are often not replaced on a tune up. There is a needle in it that can stick open and allow fuel into the bottom cylinders before the engine is ready for it. They are part 12 in this diagram.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/MercuryMarine/0G421373/360/140/CYLINDER%20BLOCK%20AND%20CRANKCASE/parts.html

I rebuilt the pump & replaced diaphragms. i will check the needle valves tomorrow. If I find no problem I will have you call me. thanks for the help so far.
I mix the fuel 50 to 1 . as I mentioned before it ran good till it set up. I also run 100% fuel to keep down the ethanol

Your very welcome.

With the engine sitting, it could also be a sticking needle inside the card that is causing this.