Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2008 mercury 4 stroke 40 hp outboard and i blew the…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 mercury 4 stroke 40 hp outboard and i blew the charging fuse....the holder is melted too ...due to possible corrosion ..,.but with all circuits off & key switch in the off position & motor not running ....I find that when i replace the charging fuse it instantly blows .....possible direct short....could this be the voltage regulator shorting out

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

This all the symptoms i have

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Boat
9/18/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? It's almost certainly the regulator I that is bad. Really it can only be 2 things, either a bad voltage regulator or a short circuit in the harness itself. 50% of the time, when a regulator blows, it will simply be an open circuit. The other 50% of the time when the regulator blows, it will be a short to ground circuit. All you really need to do to rule the regulator in or out is to simply disconnect all the red wires that go do it. If the fuse stops blowing, it's the regulator. If it still blows, then you have a short in the harness you need to find. Does that all make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason