How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Your Own Question
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Category: Boat
Satisfied Customers: 16209
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
Type Your Boat Question Here...
Jason is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live on Kingsley Lake in north Florida and my friend has

This answer was rated:

I live on Kingsley Lake in north Florida and my friend has an old, maybe 1957/8 Mustang with a great deal of water in it due to recent hurricane rains. I need to drain that water but am not sure what the plug shape it a "T" type plug or something else....Thanks!
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: That's it....thanks!

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Is this a car or a boat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1957/8 Correct Craft Mustang fiberglass ski boat

A lot of those older boats never came with drain plugs, only self bailing scuppers. Some didn't even have those. Did you look at the back rear bottom of the boat yet to see if there was any kind of plug at all there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vary hard to see with the water in the boat!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Under the front of the engine, there feels like a plug of some type.....small square plug with small wings on either side..
Is that possible?

Is the boat in the water or is it on a trailer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the boat is hanging in a lift
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can see but it is definitely not this definitely a screw in type or some sort!

Click this link, this is the only other type of drain plug there is. This would be located either on the transom, down at the lowest spot. Or under the boat, under the engine. You can't get to these plugs from inside of the boat, only on the outside, so you might have to crawl under the boat to see it. Here is the picture -

If you don't see that type of plug on the boat anyplace then the boat simply does not have a drain plug. A lot of the older boats did simply did not have them. If that's the case then you would need to pump the water out of the boat with a bilge pump or some kind of sump/utility pump. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck

Jason and other Boat Specialists are ready to help you