Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

To Timoto, I have a 2009 Honda Aquatrax f15 3seater with 490…

Customer Question
ToCustomerI have a 2009...
ToCustomerI have a 2009 Honda Aquatrax f15 3seater with 490 hours and the oil goes down, no signs of water or fuel in the oil but the level still goes down.
There are no visible leaks on top or sides of the engine... if there is it is not coming out into the hull either as the hull is clean...
I have been very observant of the Jetski behavior and there are no warning lights coming on.
The one thing I have noticed after running out on the sea for 5 hours was that when I was flushing the engine (I've donne a 20 minute flush and I filled a clean white bucket with the water running out of the jet pump during the last 2 minutes of the engine flush and in came out with very small drops of engine oil of the size of a shea seed.
The jet ski buns no oil and I always looked after my jetski as per Manuel orientations so this is the first problem so what would that be? How is the oil getting in there? And I am talking filling oil up to half way between stick marks and having the oil right at the bottom of oil container even with the engine running I can see the engine shaft splashing oil back towards the oil container....
So in 5 hours of run all I got left in the engine is oil right at the bottom of the engine and all the rest came out of it some how with the water?!?!?Help!
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
9/18/2017
Marine Mechanic: TIMOTO, Mechanic replied 11 months ago
TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic

The problem you are having is something that I have not seen before. Usually it is a case of water contaminating the engine oil due to bad O rings on the oil cooler but that is not the problem. I would first have an engine leak down test done just to confirm that is not a problem with piston ring seal. If that checks good then the next most likely causes are a leaking internal engine gasket (possibly a head gasket where the oil feeds the top end of the engine) or salt water corrosion has caused a leak somewhere in one of the engine castings between a pressurized oil passage and the cooling system water. Almost 500 hours is more running time than any one I have ever seen.

It still runs exceptionally well, I doubt it would be a piston ring seal as it does not burn any oil, no visible smoke at all, water is cristal clear too, max speed is correct, acceleration is strong too.
I have noticed top engine bolt gaskets falling apart would u think that could be the cause of it? I will still follow your advice though.
Any thoughts? Maybe top mount gasket?

If you are talking about the rubber sealing doughnuts on the small bolts with 10mm hex heads on the very top of the valve cover then any leakage there would an obvious trail as it ran down from the top of the engine. Since there is visible oil in the cooling water then the most likely source is an internal leak between a high pressure oil passage and a cooling water passage. If it were a turbo model then I would inspect the turbo first before tearing into the engine.