Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

How to winterize a 2017 waverunner 4 stroke, How to

Customer Question
How to winterize a...

How to winterize a 2017 waverunner 4 stroke

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No new and we have 19 hours put on it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
9/18/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 8 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, sorry for the delay. Here is a great summary from PWC Today:

How To Winterize/Summerize a Yamaha 4 stroke Model Waverunner.
Applies to YAMAHA...

1- Go to the gas station and fill your ski up with fresh gas, making sure you are at least above 3/4 full, (want to avoid condensation in tank this way). Now add a fuel stabilizer, I suggest the Yamaha brand, add it at gas station, now drive home, this will help "slosh it" around and mix it on the short drive home.

2- Now run ski on water hose for 10 minutes to clean out the ski, and to run some of the stabilized fuel through the engine. Shut off water and blow out excess water for 10 seconds with a couple half throttle hits. (Do not run ski for more than 15 seconds with no water running) REMEMBER THIS: the water is added to the ski AFTER the ski is started, and is stopped BEFORE the ski is turned off... if the ski stops running while on water, immediately turn off water flow! Try and do this with the nose up slightly if possible.

3- you can change oil and oil filter at this point now or wait until spring. I think it's best done now but it's a personal choice really, but the engine is warm and the oil mixed around so just change it now if possible. Exception is if you have just changed the oil/filter within the last 10/15 hours then wait until spring. ​I Like to change in winter, fresh oil in engine is better when it sits.

This is also a good chance for you to look over the ski well, look for damaged hoses, check to be sure clamps are tight, look for wear items, brackets, and things that may be damaged, loose or worn... from a year of riding things get loose or damaged..... check over bottom of hull from underneath it, also look for frayed electric wires around the engine, burned/melting wires, check the hose and clamps on your gas tank, Open fuse box and make sure nothing looks wet or damaged in there and seal is good. Give a good wipe down with a silicone lubricant on your front engine hatch rubber seal and on your rubber seal on the bottom of the seat also...

4- Now, wash, dry and wax ski, do a full detail, dry out inside of hull, you can use a shop vac if need be, or just towels, suck out the small amount of water in the hose attachment where you hook up the water hose also.

5- The next day, or a couple hours later on that day, blow out water again..it should have be done 3-4 times total from when you rinsed out engine until your done winterizing it. As long as you give an hour or two break between each blow out to avoid over heating engine. An hour or so later do another final blow out, on the final blow out you should raise the front of your ski as high as you can when clearing water from the engine, this helps get it all out. Remember to not run engine for longer than 10-15 seconds each time.

6- remove the hose that goes from the air filter box to the engine at the engine side. now spray the Yamaha engine fogging oil into it for 5 seconds, then start engine for 10 seconds at idle only. shut off, re-connect engine hose. ​An alternative is to remove each plug and spray down into the cylinder, then crank the engine 2-3 times.

7- Now remove battery from ski and put on trickle charger, if you don't want to use a trickle charger, then disconnect battery cables and leave it in craft until spring, but the charger really is a good idea, and a VERY good idea if your storage time is more than 2-3 months.

8- now spray a engine/hull/hose protection over all exterior surfaces in your engine compartment, like a silicone lubricant, again Yamaha sells this to, spray it over everything inside the hull.

9-now put seat back on, use a small folded over towel to prop up the back of the seat a inch for added ventilation.

10- cover ski with cover and you're done. I don't use or suggest anti freeze on four strokes properly winterized. It's not required, when you properly do everything else above including the 3-4 blow outs of water, which you MUST do. I know of no confirmed cases where a 4 stroke engine cracked from winter, and the Yamaha manuals make no mention of adding antifreeze either, and if it was required, or there was a risk of engine damage, YOU COULD BET YAMAHA would have it in the manual in big bold words, but it's not there. AGAIN, the key is to blow out the water 3-4 times, which removes most of the water.

Summerizing:

11- In the spring/summer, simply make sure your battery is charged and connect battery back to ski, start engine, make sure it sounds correct, now change oil, oil filter (unless you did this at the end of last season). Be sure to change spark plugs, air filter, lube cables and lube points now. I suggest running ski a few minutes on water in the spring to make sure engine sound right and to clean it out of fogging spray, THEN change spark plugs with fresh ones. Now go ride it like you stole it. This will save you several dollars doing it yourself and allow you to check for any damages and have the pride in knowing you did it right and yourself. This applies to the 4 stroke Yamaha line.

Boat Doc
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast