Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

What are the proper steps in priming and starting a 1995…

Customer Question
What are the proper...

What are the proper steps in priming and starting a 1995 Outboard Motor ...we just purchased.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

Mercury 1995 60 HP two stroke outboard on my 21 ft pontoon boat.... motor recently serviced by local marine repair shop, water flowing through the "P" hole, usually easily cranked and running well. After launching from trailer, started easily, ran in no-wake area for about 20 minutes. Motor doing very well. After parking for about 1 hour, attempting to start again. Set throttle to Idle slow, pumped itnition two or three times, cranking real good, but no firing. Cranking only about 5-10 seconds, trying again. Several attempts, choking once or twice but not holding the "choke-primer" in. Let the motor rest a while longer, tried again. Still good cranking but no firing. Do I need to keep the choke depressed? Thanks in advance for any help you can render.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury outboard are cataloged by serial number. Do you have that number available so I can look up and see which version of the 60 you have.

Are you here?