Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am install a downward facing thru hull 3D sonar transducer…

Customer Question
Hello there. I am...

Hello there. I am install a downward facing thru hull 3D sonar transducer part number A80465. I have a position for the transducer about 7" off the centre line and 12" forward from the keel. Will the transducer pick up the keel in the picture and will this affect the accuracy of the device?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?

Boat is a CAL 20 sail boat firbre glass hull. I am only worried about positioning of the transducer to maximum efficiency

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 3 days by:
9/19/2017
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 9 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast

Hi, sorry for the delay. No, if the unit is mounted in front of the keel, you should be fine. Normally problems arise when the keel disturbs water behind it and causes improper returns to the transducer.

I have chosen a place further forward along the centre line of the boat about 4 feet in front of the keel. 0 degree dead rise and reshape the bow for optimal airodinamics. I believe this is the best place for it.I am curious to see a ground line for the fish finder when I have positive and negative for all other DC current. What should I be hooking the ground line to? A keel bolt?
Marine Mechanic: Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast replied 8 months ago

If your boat has bonding wires on the through hulls and running gear, you should connect the ground line to that, it should be a green wire throughout the boat for bonding.