Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I am having and issue with my v4 Yamaha 115 two stroke

Customer Question
I am having and...

I am having and issue with my v4 Yamaha 115 two stroke misfire 1st cylinder some times it comes back and it works fine sometimes it only runs on 3 cylynders

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

It start right up and idles on 3 cylinders. Its always the cylinder one that is misfiring. Looks like the spark plug is wet even though there is a spark. I take it out for a ride and it comes back and it last a few minutes and then it goes back to 3 cylinders again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

I don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
9/14/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote, do you have a model number on the engine?

Hi My name in Nemo
The model of the engine is v4 115hp two stroke and it is 2003

Hi Nemo. I tried to accept the phone call request but the system says that there was a problem with your account, and it would not authorize the call. Did you want to get that worked out or did you want to stay in web chat?

we can chat

Okay no problem. When you say it's cylinder 1 that is misfiring, are you talking about the top right hand cylinder as you face the rear of the engine?

Ye sir

Have you done anything on your own yet to troubleshoot the issue, such as checking compression or checking spark output with a timing light, pulling or replacing the plug? How are you testing for spark exactly, just by grounding a plug or are you using a timing light?

comp rate is 125 on all four, new spark plugs, coils and cables. Good spark

H​ow are you checking for spark, are you hooking up a timing light to the plug wire and seeing if the timing light flashes? (Which is the right way to check for spark). Or are you grounding the plugs to the engine block? (Which is the wrong way to check for spark). When you pulled out the old spark plugs, did that top right plug look any different than the other 3?

Are you still here?