Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Okay so I replace the sensor coil like you told me and I

Customer Question

Okay so I replace the sensor coil like you told me and I still have no spark what else could be the problem
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

So you have replaced the power pack, ignition coils, stator and the sensor coil. That is everything.

Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack and check for spark.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did still nothing
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok now we need to get a tester and check voltage out puts to verify which component is failing. We need a peak reading volt meter or a DVA adapter for your meter. Do you have either?

How fast is the engine cranking over would you guess it to be turning 300+ rpms?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No at the moment I still have not gotten new batteries for my own meter and yes I do believe it is turning at least 300 RPMs
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Does your meter read peak volts?

Here is the definition of what the DVA adapter reads.http://www.go2marine.com/productcenters/electrical/2-dva-explained.pdf

Here is the DVA adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-640-Adapter-Pack/dp/B0093U3TFG

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay so I'm going to have to order a DVA and meter tester on Amazon and then I will reply to you so you can walk me through this process
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok just let me know when your ready.

Thank you..Tan

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay so I bought a new own reader and it says it reads 300 volts Max
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to have a DVA in order to test
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Did you read the link about the DVA and what it reads?

The meter has to be capable of reading peak volts. Standard meters are not designed to do this. This is a specific meter for reading peak volts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had another question I found that my shift switch is not hooked up could that cause no spark
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

The shift switch is a neutral safety switch that only affect cranking of the engine not spark.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well the engine cranks over no problem and the shifts which is never been hooked up since I've owned it if I was to hook it back up what wires go to the shift switch
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Does the engine start in gear now? The shift switch might be in the control. On older engines they had the shift switch on the engine. So you may have a newer control where they bypassed the switch on the engine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine doesn't start but it does crank over and the prop does turn when it's cranking over the switch is on the engine with no wires going to it but on my control box it has a start position and then when you press forward it releases the start position to allow me to go forward back to neutral and then reverse
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Then the switch on the engine isn't used.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Let me know when you get the DVA. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Amazon said it will be here between the 20th and 25th
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay so I received my dva today now I need to know how I go about the process of using it
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok we first need to test the charge coil. Disconnect the brown wire from the power pack now connect the black test lead of DVA to engine ground and the red test lead to the brown wire crank engine what is your reading.

Your meter needs to be on DC volts capable of reading 400 volts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The dcv or dc
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

DCV and DC are the same.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay just checking my reader says it's capable of 500 let me hook my battery up and I will get back to you in just a second
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

That's perfect. You should have a reading of 150-400 Peak volts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had a reading of 208
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok excellent. Now we need to test the sensor coil. Disconnect the white/black and black/white. Now connect the meter leads to these 2 wires and crank engine. What is your reading? Put the meter on lowest DCV reading. We should have a reading of .6+ volts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my meter will allow me to use 200 m or 2 which is the lower setting I should be using
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

2 is good. We are going to be reading about half a volt or higher.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the highest reading it showed was . 120
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Then the sensor is no working. Did you use the gap tool to set the gap on the sensor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ordered the sensor that you told me to get with The Gap tool they only sent me the sensor no Gap tool I called and left a message complaining that I did not receive my Gap tool now I'm having due to the fact the new sensor does not move like the original one
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just crank the engine again and tested the sensor coil it showed me a reading of 1.1
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

That sensor has to be in a specific location to work correctly. Without the tool you can position the sensor correctly.

That was the purpose of getting the sensor with the tool. You will have to wait of the tool. It is possible you could have damaged the sensor. If it is rubbing the flywheel it will not work correctly.

Ok if it is reading 1.1 volts then it is putting out enough voltage. That leaves the power pack or both ignition coils. There is no test for the [power pack.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no test I can do on the power pack how often would a power pack go out it's brand new just put it in myself
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Let's connect the sensor to the power pack and retest the voltage.

We must have over 1 volt. The specs are different on the CDI sensor than OE.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay remind me how I do this one more time
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Reconnect the wires to the power pack coming from the sensor. Then put your test leads from the DVA to the black/white and the white/black now crank motor what is your voltage reading?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a reading of .632
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Not enough. We have to get the gap tool before we can go further. The sensor is supposed to be .020 air gap from the flywheel. The only way to set the gap is with the tool.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is the type of sensor they sent me which gives me no adjustment like the original one
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

The screws go through the sensor which has slots that is where you adjust the sensor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand that part but the sensor slips down into a notch in the timing housing and butts up on the backside against the metal ring that goes around the housing which allows me no space to move forward or backwards
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a way to test the sensor coil when it's not hooked up to the motor
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

I don't know what to tell you I don't make the product and it doesn't work. I have done all I can at this point.

If it isn't putting out the correct voltage when cranking it is bad or adjusted incorrectly. I can only do so much. So what would you like me to do at this point. We have done all the tests and they tell us the sensor is the problem. You need to contact the manufacturer of the sensor and see what they say.

We can do an ohm test but that doesn't tell us anything if it reads correctly. You should have 16-19 ohms between the 2 wires disconnected for the power pack.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is the paperwork that CDI sent me with the exact same page
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

So did you follow the instructions? No as you didn't get the tool to set the sensor. So we have to set the sensor.

There is no other way around this. We have done all the tests either the sensor is gaped wrong or it is bad.

There is nothing I can do at this point.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so I'll wait for the gap tool
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Great keep me posted.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I have one quick question I've noticed some differences in the photo you sent me for the sensor and as you can see in my photo of my sensor there was a notch at the bottom of the sensor that stops my sensor from moving forward towards the shaft but in the picture you sent me it does not have this little notch to keep it from moving did I get the wrong sensor possibly
Expert:  Tan replied 30 days ago.

Those instructions were from the sensor I posted.

Here click on the Tech Info box. This is the sensor you ordered correct? http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=CDI133-0875K+1

If you have something different you have to check with the company you bought it from.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
this is the sensor that I ordered that came without the tool and it said it was supposed to come with the tool I was just referring to the picture that you sent me the link to and it shows my sensor sitting flat on top of the timer base my timer base has a little nub that the sensor slides down inside of which stops it from going forward and backwards just wondering if that may be my problem
Expert:  Tan replied 30 days ago.

Couldn't tell you you would have to talk with the manufacturer of the part they sent you and ask why the difference.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Ok will do
Expert:  Tan replied 30 days ago.

How did the old sensor look in comparison to the new one?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
This is a picture of the old sensor and when I put it on the later it comes up at 15.9
Expert:  Tan replied 30 days ago.

So you did the cranking test on this sensor like we did on the new sensor and got a reading of 15.9 volts?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
No this was disconnected from the power pack and it read 15.9 ohms
Expert:  Tan replied 30 days ago.

It can read good with ohms and still be bad. Can you install it and check cranking voltage?

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Ya give me a min
Expert:  Tan replied 30 days ago.

Ok