Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Okay so I replace the sensor coil like you told me and I…

Customer Question
Okay so I replace the...
Okay so I replace the sensor coil like you told me and I still have no spark what else could be the problem
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
9/14/2017
Marine Mechanic: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

So you have replaced the power pack, ignition coils, stator and the sensor coil. That is everything.

Disconnect the black/yellow wire from the power pack and check for spark.

I did still nothing

Ok now we need to get a tester and check voltage out puts to verify which component is failing. We need a peak reading volt meter or a DVA adapter for your meter. Do you have either?

How fast is the engine cranking over would you guess it to be turning 300+ rpms?

No at the moment I still have not gotten new batteries for my own meter and yes I do believe it is turning at least 300 RPMs

Does your meter read peak volts?

Here is the definition of what the DVA adapter reads.http://www.go2marine.com/productcenters/electrical/2-dva-explained.pdf

Here is the DVA adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Specialties-640-Adapter-Pack/dp/B0093U3TFG

Okay so I'm going to have to order a DVA and meter tester on Amazon and then I will reply to you so you can walk me through this process

Ok just let me know when your ready.

Thank you..Tan

Okay so I bought a new own reader and it says it reads 300 volts Max
Do I have to have a DVA in order to test

Did you read the link about the DVA and what it reads?

The meter has to be capable of reading peak volts. Standard meters are not designed to do this. This is a specific meter for reading peak volts.

I had another question I found that my shift switch is not hooked up could that cause no spark

The shift switch is a neutral safety switch that only affect cranking of the engine not spark.

Well the engine cranks over no problem and the shifts which is never been hooked up since I've owned it if I was to hook it back up what wires go to the shift switch

Does the engine start in gear now? The shift switch might be in the control. On older engines they had the shift switch on the engine. So you may have a newer control where they bypassed the switch on the engine.

The engine doesn't start but it does crank over and the prop does turn when it's cranking over the switch is on the engine with no wires going to it but on my control box it has a start position and then when you press forward it releases the start position to allow me to go forward back to neutral and then reverse

Then the switch on the engine isn't used.

Ok

Let me know when you get the DVA. Thanks.

Amazon said it will be here between the 20th and 25th

Ok

Okay so I received my dva today now I need to know how I go about the process of using it

Ok we first need to test the charge coil. Disconnect the brown wire from the power pack now connect the black test lead of DVA to engine ground and the red test lead to the brown wire crank engine what is your reading.

Your meter needs to be on DC volts capable of reading 400 volts.

DCV and DC are the same.

Okay just checking my reader says it's capable of 500 let me hook my battery up and I will get back to you in just a second

That's perfect. You should have a reading of 150-400 Peak volts.

I had a reading of 208

Ok excellent. Now we need to test the sensor coil. Disconnect the white/black and black/white. Now connect the meter leads to these 2 wires and crank engine. What is your reading? Put the meter on lowest DCV reading. We should have a reading of .6+ volts.

my meter will allow me to use 200 m or 2 which is the lower setting I should be using

2 is good. We are going to be reading about half a volt or higher.

the highest reading it showed was . 120

Then the sensor is no working. Did you use the gap tool to set the gap on the sensor?

I ordered the sensor that you told me to get with The Gap tool they only sent me the sensor no Gap tool I called and left a message complaining that I did not receive my Gap tool now I'm having due to the fact the new sensor does not move like the original one
I just crank the engine again and tested the sensor coil it showed me a reading of 1.1

That sensor has to be in a specific location to work correctly. Without the tool you can position the sensor correctly.

That was the purpose of getting the sensor with the tool. You will have to wait of the tool. It is possible you could have damaged the sensor. If it is rubbing the flywheel it will not work correctly.

Ok if it is reading 1.1 volts then it is putting out enough voltage. That leaves the power pack or both ignition coils. There is no test for the [power pack.

there is no test I can do on the power pack how often would a power pack go out it's brand new just put it in myself

Let's connect the sensor to the power pack and retest the voltage.

We must have over 1 volt. The specs are different on the CDI sensor than OE.

Okay remind me how I do this one more time

Reconnect the wires to the power pack coming from the sensor. Then put your test leads from the DVA to the black/white and the white/black now crank motor what is your voltage reading?

I have a reading of .632

Not enough. We have to get the gap tool before we can go further. The sensor is supposed to be .020 air gap from the flywheel. The only way to set the gap is with the tool.

The screws go through the sensor which has slots that is where you adjust the sensor.

I understand that part but the sensor slips down into a notch in the timing housing and butts up on the backside against the metal ring that goes around the housing which allows me no space to move forward or backwards
Is there a way to test the sensor coil when it's not hooked up to the motor

I don't know what to tell you I don't make the product and it doesn't work. I have done all I can at this point.

If it isn't putting out the correct voltage when cranking it is bad or adjusted incorrectly. I can only do so much. So what would you like me to do at this point. We have done all the tests and they tell us the sensor is the problem. You need to contact the manufacturer of the sensor and see what they say.

We can do an ohm test but that doesn't tell us anything if it reads correctly. You should have 16-19 ohms between the 2 wires disconnected for the power pack.

this is the paperwork that CDI sent me with the exact same page

So did you follow the instructions? No as you didn't get the tool to set the sensor. So we have to set the sensor.

There is no other way around this. We have done all the tests either the sensor is gaped wrong or it is bad.

There is nothing I can do at this point.

Ok so I'll wait for the gap tool

Great keep me posted.

I have one quick question I've noticed some differences in the photo you sent me for the sensor and as you can see in my photo of my sensor there was a notch at the bottom of the sensor that stops my sensor from moving forward towards the shaft but in the picture you sent me it does not have this little notch to keep it from moving did I get the wrong sensor possibly

Those instructions were from the sensor I posted.

Here click on the Tech Info box. This is the sensor you ordered correct? http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=CDI133-0875K+1

If you have something different you have to check with the company you bought it from.

this is the sensor that I ordered that came without the tool and it said it was supposed to come with the tool I was just referring to the picture that you sent me the link to and it shows my sensor sitting flat on top of the timer base my timer base has a little nub that the sensor slides down inside of which stops it from going forward and backwards just wondering if that may be my problem

Couldn't tell you you would have to talk with the manufacturer of the part they sent you and ask why the difference.

Ok will do

How did the old sensor look in comparison to the new one?

So you did the cranking test on this sensor like we did on the new sensor and got a reading of 15.9 volts?

No this was disconnected from the power pack and it read 15.9 ohms

It can read good with ohms and still be bad. Can you install it and check cranking voltage?

Ya give me a min

Ok