Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a yamaha F30 four stroke 3 cylinder engine with

Customer Question

Hi. I have a yamaha F30 four stroke 3 cylinder engine with ignition problems .
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: It won't start. There is spark at 2 cylinders but not the third. The coils are checked and are said to be ok. I am told the ecu is the problem but cannot find a local one to swap in there to find out for sure. the listed one for it is too expensive to buy just to find out if it is indeed at fault. Some people suggest that similar ecu units from other 4 stroke 3 cylinder engines will be the same and it looks likely I could buy secondhand units of this type for a lot less money but i need to be sure they fit and would work on the yamaha (assuming the ecu is at fault anyway). I would risk buying the cheaper units to test if they are compatible but no point throwing away money if they don't suit! Does anyone have a list of compatible ecu models that would work?
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so? Its a European model, pull start, long shaft, year 2001. Can't think of anything else they may need to know?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am a I speaking with? I read what you wrote but do not see any model information. What is the exact model number on the outboard as it reads on the ID tag?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello, Richard here.Yamaha F30MLHZ
69H L 500349
SThat is what is on the tag. I know the American date codes are sometimes different form the European ones so the "S" on this one is for 2001
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Richard. Is this a Yamaha engine or a Mercury engine? F30MLHZ is not a valid model number, and if I drop the Z and just use F30MLH , that is a model number for a Mercury engine. Can you double check those numbers for me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is EXACTLY as it reads on the tag. I'm reading it from a photo on my phone.
It is a Yamaha (produced for the European market I believe) I am in Ireland.
If you try the code you suggest on the Mercury engine system perhaps they use the same part as that is what dealers here suggest too.
The ecu on this is a motorola unit FSTR 9802
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Can you take a picture of the ID tag for me so I can see it? I typed F30MLHZ into google and there are literally just 14 hits in all of google.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just googled that code as a mercury and some pictures came up but from the styling and appearance to me it looks like a much newer engine, maybe 2006/7 at least ...and with efi.
My Yamaha engine is one with carbs.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the picture on my phone.
Bear with me while i transfer it to my laptop to send it!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Okay I will be here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hope this works!
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

I see it. Unfortuantely I can't find any information on that. The most likely reason is because I am in the US and you are in Ireland. I will opt out and leave your question open to the community.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you find any info on the model number of the ecu? of if it may be similar to other ecu's?