Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Jeremy, my dad is at his wits end we have three boats and

Hey Jeremy, my dad is...
Hey Jeremy, my dad is at his wits end we have three boats and all of them have something wrong. He is trying to get the one with Force 125 hp running. When we turn the key it does not fire it has new spark plugs and fuel seem to be fine. I have read some stuff and told him to check kill switch with black and yellow wire, but he can not find a black and yellow wire except on motor that seems to go the throttle safety switch. Is that the wire he needs to disconnect to see if the kill switch is bad and keeping the motor from firing. Thank you.
9/13/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can I get the model number or serial number as it reads on the ID tag on the outboard.

My name is***** will have to get with you later as my dad has the boat at the campsite and I had to come to work. I will be going out there shortly and get you the information.

Okay no problem Tina, there are no time limits here. Just reply back once you have that info and we will take it from there.

Model # 1258V8C serial # 1053

Good morning and sorry for the delay. When you replied back last night I had already logged off for the day. I've got the model info. Did your dad actually check and see if the engine did it fact not have spark?

Sorry thought we had it figured out the magnet on the flywheel was loose so we glued it hopefully correct lol. Now we have fire on all spark plugs but still won't start. We were thinking either magnet is in wrong or timing.

How exactly are you testing for spark, are you hooking up a timing light to the engine and cranking the engine over? Or are you just grounding a spark plug to the engine block?

Grounding spark plug to engine block

O​kay that is not the correct way to check for spark. If the engine has weak spark it will make it look like there is spark when grounding the plug, when what will happen is the plug will not actually fire when installed. To check for spark the right way what you would need is a timing light. You take that timing light, hook it up to each plug wire one at a time, crank the engine over, and see if that timing light flashes or not. Flash means the plug is actually firing. No flash means there is no spark.

Okay I will tell him that

Okay let me know how you make out.

Will do

Okay sounds good.

Okay now it back fires and tries to start

What is the history on this engine. Have you ever personally seen it run correctly? How old is the fuel itself?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic