Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I was trying to find the oil stick. i found a plastic tank

Customer Question

i was trying to find the oil stick. i found a plastic tank on top of the engine with a float attached so not sure when to add oil.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: one of the gauges beeps occasionally not sure why. an orange light.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: engine serial # 0e397759
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

This engine has 2 oil tanks one on the engine and one in the boat. You should only need to add oil to the tank in the boat.

Have you checked the oil tank in the boat?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
where is it?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

I have no idea what make of boat you have you must look in the compartments of the boat near the transom area.

# 1 is the tank in the boat and # 16 is the tank on the engine. The engine creates pressure to the tank in the boat filling the tank on the engine. So if the tank in the boat is empty the tank on the engine will get low and sound the alarm.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0E397759/S240J30YS/5387_150