Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I, I have a 2001 50 Hp. Yamaha 2 stroke. I idles fine and

Customer Question

I
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2001 50 Hp. Yamaha 2 stroke. I idles fine and cranks with ease. On the hose I can run it up to full RPM, but in the water (under a load) it will " bog down". For while it would bog a little and then pick up an run normal. Over time it has progressed to the point now that it will not pick up at all. I can still manually run up the RPM on the throttle in neutral. I have change the fuel tank,, hose, fuel pump, plugs and pulled the top carb bowl to look for trash or gunk. Clean as a whistle. The local shop says they have never sold a power pack for this model. Where do I go from here?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Two weeks ago, when the motor was cold, it would take off and plane out and run at full throttle for a while. It never cut out or slowed down while running. When I would stop and try to get back on plane, the motor would "bog" down and I would have to idle back to the ramp. If I tried to open the throttle at all, the engine would die. Now, it will not throttle up at all from cold start (except on hand throttle).
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what wrote. Is the outboard running on a portable tank or a tank that is built into the boat? Does the alarm system work on the outboard? Have you measured fuel pressure or checked for spark output with a timing light yet? How is the compression?