Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have 1989 Mercury 200 Black Max XXL (30" shaft). The motor

Customer Question

Hello:I have 1989 Mercury 200 Black Max XXL (30" shaft). The motor runs fine and cool without the lower unit on and when I attach a water hose straight to the water pipe.The minute I installed the LU, the motor starts to get very hot (less than a minute) and water from the tell-tale is very hot to touch.
All this test was done in a 100 G of water at idle. I replaced the impeller twice with brand new gasket, thermostat (type 143F and 130F), and even the poppet valve.Installation of the impeller is done right and as per Mercury manuall
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Can you do this as a test for me. Go ahead and put the boat in the water, and do not use a garden hose or bucket, put the boat in the actual water. Pull the thermostats out and leave the covers off. Start the engine up, and let me know if you get a good flow of water out of the thermostat hole openings or not.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jason,This is Ahmed. I'm travelling today and will not be able to do that until this weekend or mid of next week. Any chance I can leave this question open until I get back? thanks,
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Yes of course, there are no time limits here. Just reply back when you are ready and we can take it from there.