Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
99497409

I recently purchased a 2002 seadoo islandia. I did all the

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2002 seadoo islandia. I did all the prelaunch checks and started up the engine with hose connected and it turned over and ran a few minutes. I launched the boat and just after getting out of the no wake zone and giving some throttle and speed for just a few minutes the engine cuts out and the red light on the fuel gauge comes on and a beeping sound starts. Engine would turnover but quickly shutdown until no response and a ticking on retrying engine start. I ended up being towed to ramp.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi, sorry for the delay. It sounds like you may have a fuel pump failure or the boat is out of fuel, if we assume it has fuel in it then I would suspect a failed fuel pump. And you will need the battery charged up since cranking it has drained it down, that's what the clicking was.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that a fix I can do or is it for an authorized dealer to handle? Can I charge the battery like I would a car that needed a jump?
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 1 month ago.

B​ecause of the complex nature of that fuel system (lift pump in the tank, pressure pump in the VST) I would recommend a professional look at it. Both pumps are expensive and their is a fair amount of troubleshooting involved to figure out which part of the system is bad. Add to that the danger of a fuel leak if the repair is not done properly and it makes sense to have a pro look at it. In the long run it will probably save you time and money. If you have a voltmeter and some time I can work you through the diagnosis though, if you'd prefer. As for the battery, it is similar to a car battery and can be charged like that.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't do it now but possibly later this afternoon or Wednesday or Sunday. With the hurricane stuff I'm sure when I'll be able to
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 1 month ago.

Ok, let me know if you need help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you I will