Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Boat Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert at Just Answer
99497409

Just bought a 1990 rinker captiva 186 with a 4.3l inboard.

Customer Question

just bought a 1990 rinker captiva 186 with a 4.3l inboard. 1st time in the water it went about 250 yards as I was giving it throttle to get up on plane, it lost power and stalled. It didn't have any electrical power to the key or gauges. you could let it sit for 20 minutes and then it would crank up and run for 10 minutes or so and then cut off again and then same thing-no electrical power until it cooled off.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: thats it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Boat Doc replied 1 month ago.

Hi, first thing to check is the large round plug that connects all the electrical wiring near the top of the engine. Remove it from the engine and check for corrosion and loose pins. Clean it all up and spray it with some WD 40 or silicone lubricant and there is a pretty good chance that will solve your problems.