Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2002 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI. Engine shut down on alarm and won't

Customer Question

2002 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI. Engine shut down on alarm and won't start. Oil and Temps appeared normal. Fast beep on console.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jason. It's Mark. We've chatted before. I'm trying to figure potential causes for this engine trouble. I'm thinking pressure or temperature switch failure but the both have continuity the same as the working twin engine. Perhaps I'm testing wrong or is the cause elsewhere
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine did not overheat and it has oil
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

H​I Mark. What is the serial number on the engine? Are you able to check fuel pressure and spark output?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
S/N. 0M322906
Actually. It will start but the alarm (about 120 Hz) at the helm continues to sound. Oil pressure ok and temperature ok.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Does the boat have Smartcraft gauges? If not, do you have a marine scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No to both. But I can report that while it will run, it won't take any throttle
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning and sorry for the delay. I live in south florida and just went through a major hurricane. Power and internet connections are very spotty. If the boat does not have smart craft gauges then as much as I would love to help you with this one, you would have to take it into the dealer and have the engine hooked up to a scan tool to see what is causing the alarm.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Understood. Thanks. Good luck on your storm recovery
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome. Good luck!