Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

2002 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI. Engine shut down on alarm and won't…

Customer Question
2002 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI. Engine...
2002 Mercruiser 4.3 MPI. Engine shut down on alarm and won't start. Oil and Temps appeared normal. Fast beep on console.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What kinds of questions did you have for me?

Hi Jason. It's Mark. We've chatted before. I'm trying to figure potential causes for this engine trouble. I'm thinking pressure or temperature switch failure but the both have continuity the same as the working twin engine. Perhaps I'm testing wrong or is the cause elsewhere
The engine did not overheat and it has oil

H​I Mark. What is the serial number on the engine? Are you able to check fuel pressure and spark output?

S/N. 0M322906
Actually. It will start but the alarm (about 120 Hz) at the helm continues to sound. Oil pressure ok and temperature ok.

Does the boat have Smartcraft gauges? If not, do you have a marine scan tool?

No to both. But I can report that while it will run, it won't take any throttle

Good morning and sorry for the delay. I live in south florida and just went through a major hurricane. Power and internet connections are very spotty. If the boat does not have smart craft gauges then as much as I would love to help you with this one, you would have to take it into the dealer and have the engine hooked up to a scan tool to see what is causing the alarm.

Understood. Thanks. Good luck on your storm recovery

You are very welcome. Good luck!

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic