Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

What can cause the positive battery terminal in parallel

Customer Question

What can cause the positive battery terminal in parallel connected batteries to completely corrode away?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Salt water corrosion loose connections will cause extreme corrosion . If the terminal was loose the cable end could have gotten hot enough to melt the cable ends. Lack of maintenance of terminals they do corroded. Can you post a pic of the terminal.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Here's an image of typical corrosion. https://i.stack.imgur.com/OXJOe.jpg

The reason one battery can corrode more than another is the health of the battery. If the battery has a weak cell that battery will get hotter than a good battery producing more gas and the corrosion.