Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Both 350 engines won't start. They turn over well, have fuel

Customer Question

Both 350 engines won't start. They turn over well, have fuel and spark.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: The only thing I can think of is to try ether. Also, I could check every plug for spark and possibly the fuel is old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: The bilge pump failed and the engine compartment got water up to the oil pan bottoms. But I've dried everything out and don't see any electrical parts having been affected.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Who makes these engines? Are they Mercruiser, Volvo, OMC, something else? Do you have a model or serial number on them so I can see exactly what you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Crusader 350 XL 92168 & 92169
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I forgot, Good morning I'm Al in Seattle.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hi Al. Okay got it. Is there a history to these engines, have you ever personally seen them start? When you turn the key to start, does the engine crank over quickly, like your car engine, or are they slow to crank over?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They run fine. Just had the srarboard rebuilt. Have new batteries. Shut them down - had the bilge pump incident and they won't restart.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Got it. Do you have a timing light so we can check for spark? Also, do you have any starting fluid? Are the engines actually spinning over when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I checked for spark with a light between the wire and plug. I have starting ether. The starter motors sound as they should. They are under load and not spinning free.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Those little lights between the wire and plug are designed more for things like lawn mowers, they won't give a good indication of spark on a marine engine. The engine needs 3 things to start. Compression, timed spark ignition and fuel. Starting fluid is a fuel. Have a helper turn the key and crank the engine over while you spray starting fluid in the carb at the same time, and let me know if it attempts to start or if there is any reaction at all from the engine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okeydoke, I'll get back.
How do I find you again?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Just reply right back here like you have been.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 month ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?