Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 1989 60 hp tilt and trim does not work in either

Customer Question

My 1989 Johnson 60 hp tilt and trim does not work in either direction> When I push the up button the relays both seem to chatter. Nothing happens when the down button is pushed.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Any sugestions
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: The relays have both been replaced By direct connection, the motor runs both directions.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Have you tested the voltage going to the trim motor?

Have you checked the fluid level and that the manual release valve is tight?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
fluid is fine. Manual release valve is tight. The motor does run when the leads are connected to the battery
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Ok have you checked for voltage at trim motor when connected to the relays?

Have you inspected the connections at the relays with relays removed. Sometimes the connectors can get corroded or pushed through the relay holder.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
phone call please
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

I tried but there seems to be an issue with payment.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please try again
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.