Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1976 18ft StarCraft aluminum with holes in keel

Customer Question

I have a 1976 18ft StarCraft aluminum with holes in keel guard and skidfins. They look like they were put there perfectly round. Is that comon
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I had boat anchored for a few days and when I put on trailer I had water draining from keel. The hole looks like it was drilled. Then I noticed that I had two like holes on the skidfins directly across from each other. All holes were within 6 ft of bow.Should I worry
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: It does not seem that the boat is taking on water.Maybe a gallon plus drained from hole
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Those are drain holes. These are factory drilled holes. These are used in many applications some boat the holes are used in other they are just drain holes. No worries. These holes shouldn't go into the hull. The skid plate is added after the hull is built. So the holes just let water out of the plate itself.

If you are taking on water it won't be from these plates. The only way you will have leaks is a thru hull fitting or a crack in a weld.

Have you inspected the thru hull fittings and the hull for cracks.