Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 89 150 yamaha. motor has been running fine for the

Customer Question

I have a 89 150 yamaha. motor has been running fine for the most part.Lately i have notice that when putting shifter in forward gear the engagement grinds a little before engaging. couple a days ago i went out on the water . After i backed up and attempted to go forward the throttle just grinded and wound'nt go in gear. After trying several times i gave up and had to dive the boat back to dock backwards. Is This an out of adjustment issue?
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: yes, i took the cowl off thinking i can adjust the linkage but it seems as though i got it so that it won't get in either gear
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 month ago.

The best way to find out if this is a cable adjustment is to disconnect the shift cable and manually shift the engine in to gear. Does it still grind?