Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have a Maxum 2400 a 350 motor the boat starts right away

but it will not open...
I have a Maxum 2400 a 350 motor the boat starts right away but it will not open up .
8/23/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Is this a Mercruiser or Volvo engine? Can I get the model or serial number on it so I can see exactly which version of the 350 you have.

My name is Mike. Mercruiser don't have model or serial at this time
Just send answer

Hi Mike. Is the engine carbureted, EFI injection, or MPI injection? What year is it? Have you ever personally seen the engine make full power under a load? Have you done anything on your own to troubleshoot the issue?

EFI INJECTION
year 1996
YES engine has been full power under a load

Have you done anything on your own yet to troubleshoot the issue? When was the last time it made full power?

I put new plugs in wires rotor and distributer cap

Got it. I don't know what you have for tools, engine knowledge, or if you are even trying to fix this yourself or not. Did you have any questions that you specifically wanted me to answer, or would you prefer if I explained how we would troubleshoot this type of issue in the shop?

explain how you would troubleshoot this issue in the shop

Okay give me 10 to 15 minutes to get you an answer typed up.

1. As simple as this sounds you always start by running it off of a different fuel tank, like a small plastic portable tank. Half the time there isn't anything wrong the motor itself, but rather something wrong with the boats fuel system. This can be a pinched or collapsing fuel line, bad or old gas, or a bad anti siphon valve. Marine engines are very sensitive as to the quality of the fuel, and if any part of it is over 90 days, the fuel itself is always going to be suspect. This is a pass or fail test, and the engine is either going to run better or it is not. If it does run better, on this portable tank, first change the anti siphon valve and retest with the engine hooked back up to the boats fuel tank. If it goes back to running poor on the boats fuel tank, that tank will need to be pumped out. Bad anti siphon valves are a common problem, when they go back they create a blockage and restrict the amount of fuel that flows to the engine. If the engine does not get enough fuel it obviously will not make full power. Click this link, this explains more on the anti siphon valve and why they go bad. http://www.sterndrives.com/anti-syphon-valve.html. On this anti siphon valve there is an inlet side and an outlet side. The inlet side faces the fuel tank, the outlet side faces the fuel line. When the engine runs, the fuel pump creates suction. This suction pulls the check ball off of it's seat and fuel is allowed to flow around it. The problem with this is over time the spring in the valve will get weak or simply break. When that happens the check ball will be free to jump to the outlet side of the valve and create a blockage/restriction on the outlet side of the valve. If the spring is simply weak and not broken, this will more or less happen at random. Click this link for a picture, it will make more sense once you see it Http://imgur.com/a/tpq4H. The anti siphon valve itself is located at the fuel tank, where the fuel line connects. If you pull the fuel line off the tank you will see a hose barb, that hose barb is the anti siphon valve.

2. If no change, then compression testing the engine is next. Your results need be 100 psi or better on that engine, all cylinders should be within 10-15% of eachother. If you get below 100, then the engine is worn out or has mechanical problems, and you might as well stop your troubleshooting here, as there is nothing you can do to an engine with low compression to make it run better. From there you would perform a valve adjustment and see if the compression comes back up or not.

3. Spark test Get a timing light and run the engine and hook the timing light up to each plug wire one at a time and see if the timing light flashes or not. Flash means the engine is sparking when running, no flash means no spark. Again this is a pass or fail test. If there is no spark on an cylinder, change the cap, rotor, plugs and plug wires. Next you want to check the timing advance and make sure the timing is advancing when throttling up. If the timing does not advance the engine will not make full power.

4. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge between the pump and throttle body , measure fuel pressure with the boat going as fast as it can. Pressure needs to be 30 psi at all times. If it's low, the fuel pump is weak. Make sure you do this after you do #1. If that anti siphon valve is bad that will cause low fuel pressure because the fuel pump would be struggling to pull through that restriction/blockage that a bad anti siphon valve creates.

5. Lastly, if you do all of the above steps and still do not get any kind of result, you are down to 2 possibilities Either the injectors are clogged up. Or there is something going on inside of the engines computer and a scan tool will be needed to check for codes. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

I will troubleshoot according to your steps, thank you.

You are very welcome and I was glad I could help. Please keep in mind that thanking does not pay me, only putting through a rating for my help is what pays me. (The website did charge you the full amount that you offered to speak with me but they will not pay me unless a rating is selected) The ratings box is located at the top of your screen, if you do not see it you might have to scroll up. If you still can not see it, or have a hard time when trying to select a rating for my help, please let me know and I will alert the moderators.
Thanks again and good luck!
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic