Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Good question... I had a "professional" diagnose my engine.

Good question... I had a "professional" diagnose my engine. He determined that there was water in my fuel & my carbs needed to be rebuilt. I paid him to do this. I still have the same issues as i did before he "did" the repair. I have since rebuilt the carbs with the proper seals, he used the wrong ones & new float bowls. I believe i still have water in my fuel. I did a test that i saw the mechanic do, which is hold a rag over the inlet of the carb to create suction & there are bubbkes in the fuel. Is this a sign of water?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I just replaced my water separator before all of this occurred & put 20 gallons of fresh gas in it.

Hello my Jason, whom am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What engine are you working on exactly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm Adam. I have a 92 evinrude 150 vro.

Hi Adam. Okay got it. I don't really understand your question. What are you doing exactly?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Trying to figure out if i have water in my fuel. Is thete a way, besides emptying the separator to tell?

Yes what you would want to get is some water detection paste. Click this link, this is the stuff - https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/gasoila-3843/chemicals---fluids-16461/leak-detectors---sealers-19542/water-finding-paste/ap02/4356332

You can get that at Amazon or most good auto parts store. The best way to do this is to remove the fuel tank sending unit from the fuel tank. Get a long wooden dowel, and smear some paste over the bottom 6 inches or so of that dowel, then simply dip the dowel in the tank all the way to the bottom. If there is water in the fuel, the paste will change colors and turn red. That is the best way to do it. If you only get a hint of water at the very bottom usually you can just fill the tanks, run the boat, and then check the filter and periodicaly dump it. If there is a lot of water in the tank, then the tank would need to be pumped out. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason