Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Yamaha 115 hp trim & tilt. will not lower down with throttle…

Yamaha 115 hp trim...

Yamaha 115 hp trim & tilt. will not lower down with throttle switch but works when using the engine trim button. What to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

The triom switch works fine on the throttle for triming up. Does not work when triomming the engine down. The button on the outboard engine will trim it both up and down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

Not to my kinowledge. I don't know where to start and hate to just start tearing things apart without some direction to go.

8/23/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. You did not ask any kind of clear cut question. Were you looking to test things together with a volt meter or were you looking for what the problem actually is?

I have a voltmeter but am not really good at using it. My question would be where to start to look for a problem. I am not sure even where the wiring is that I would need to test. I would not think that the problem is in the pump itself as the outboard will tilt up & down when using the switch located on the engine itself so therefore I would think it is located in the throttle body itself or some how behiond the dashboard?

I did try to accept the call request but the system says that there was a problem with your account and it would not authorize the call. Did you want to get that worked out or did you want to stay in web chat?

I just updated my payment method with a Visa card. Would you please try again.

The payment still will not go through. Chances are your card is putting a block on the charge.

Live phone call is ok.Is there an additional charge for the phone call?

Y​es there is. You paid 26 dollars already and that covers a web based chat only, unlimited time. If you want to upgrade to phone that is an additional 26 dollars for a total of 52, again unlimited time. I know that sounds like a lot but dealers average 100 to 130 per hour and they will not offer anybody any help over the phone.

Lets stick with the webchat for a awhile so I don't feel like I am getting scammed so much.
I feel this is an electrical problem but don't know where to start other than finding some random wire hanging down from somewhere. Where does the throttle wiring trim down wire go after it leaves the throttle housing? What color is it? Connect to the hydraulic unit or dashboard? Really, I am not even sure if I have fuses or a cicuit breaker to test.

Lol it's no scam, I am a real person and I am certified with Yamaha outboards. In a nutshell if the switch on the motor works but the switch in the handle does not, then you either have a bad switch or a broken wire between the switch and outboard. There are 3 wires that go into the trim switch. There is a red, a blue and a green. Red is power into the switch. When you push trim up, the switch combines red to blue and sends power down the blue wire to activate the trim up relay. When you hit trim down, the switch combines red to green, and sends power down the green wire to activate the trim down relay. The easiest way to try and remember this is blue is sky, and sky is up. Green is grass, and grass is down. All you need to do is pop the switch out of the shifter and test for power on that green wire while holding trim down at the same time. This is a pass or fail test and you will either have power on that green wire or you will not. If you do not, it is a bad switch, and you can replace the switch. If you do have power on that green wire, then you have a broken wire between the switch and outboard. From here you could tear all the wiring out and try and find that broken wire. But it' is much more time efficient to simply attach a new wire at the trim button and simply run that new wire from the trim switch down to the outboards trim relay. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
OK, this is about what I wanted to know. At least it gives me someplace to start looking. I will rate you and thanks for the help so far.

You are very welcome. Thanks again and happy boating - Jason

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic