Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 1988 mercury mariner 75hp that i just put on my…

i have a 1988 mercury...
i have a 1988 mercury mariner 75hp that i just put on my pontoon, with muffs on and water running to it how many rpms should it be
8/21/2017
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Idle rpms 650-700 rpms in gear. Out of the water it will be higher. The only way to know if it is correct is in the water in gear.

any idea what it would be outta water? in neutral

There is no spec out of the water in neutral. They don't idle the same out of water. Manufacturers are only interested in engine in the water in gear.

From experience it can be anywhere between 750-900 rpms.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you.......Tan

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician