Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have 1 2001 xr6 150 merc that I need to drop down the

idle. Its idling at about...
I have 1 2001 xr6 150 merc that I need to drop down the idle. Its idling at about 1000rpm and the gears grind when shifting. I just had a new fuel pump, and carbs cleaned. where is the idle adjustment for this motor. I believe I need around 850 rmp on the ears.
8/21/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Setting the idle timing is what controls the idle speed. The more advanced the timing, the higher the idle speed, the more retarded the timing is, the lower the idle speed. This is all part of the engines syncorization procedure. Can you open up PDF files if I upload that sync procedure for you in that format?

please send pdf files, is this normal for a xr6 mercury to make a grinding noise when shifting, some say mercs are notorious for this. I just bought this boat this weekend. I think if I drop down idle it may sound better if its not to complicated and mess up more stuff.

Okay I am attaching the file for you now. See attachment. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

It looks like we posted at the same time. Is it normal for them to grind? If you are shifting the outboard on land and not with the boat in the water then yes it is normal to grind. When you put the boat in the water, that will put back pressure on the exhaust and that will drop the engine RPM by roughly 100. The spec on this engine is 675 RPMS =/- 50 with the boat in the water and in forward gear. When the boat is out of the water the idle RPM will be roughly 100 to 150 RPMS higher than it normally would be compared to when the boat is in the water.

Jason
I have just had new fuel pump and carb rebuilt. Cant I just try and adjust the idle stop screw to drop it down form 1000 to 750, without going thru the hole timing process??

Well no, not really. The idle stop screw is a timing adjustment, not a fuel adjustment.

it grinds in the water, RPMs are around 1000 if my tach is correct

It grids because your idle is to high. It needs to be 675 +/- 50 rpms.

sounds complicated, I may do more damage, trying this myself, may take it to a shop to have them drop the rpms down. I guess there is no one screw adjustment to do this without going thru the full sequence

Correct, there is no 1 single screw, you have to go through the entire synchronization procedure from start to finish as it's shown in the file I gave you from the service manual. The carbs themselves need to be synchronized before even touching the timing side of things. Was there anything else?

No I guess not, I was hoping for an easier fix. sounds expensive

I​t's not that bad. If it's just a sync and there is nothing else wrong with the engine you would be looking at roughly 20 to 30 labor minutes.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic