Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Have a 200 HP Mariner magnum EFI 1995. Its hard to start

when it does it dies...
Have a 200 HP Mariner magnum EFI 1995. Its hard to start when it does it dies when you try to give it gas first couple of times. when it gets warm enough runs fine. When you stop to fish 45 minutes to an hour it don't want to crank again
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: Just bought it and guy said it's hardly been ran in two years.
8/20/2017
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

At work don't have that info
It's a 1995 Mariner magnum EFI with the oil injection removed. I self mix 50 to 1. Or 1 pint for 6 gallons gas

Ok, do you have the ability to test the fuel pressure that is coming from the fuel pump?

Not at this time at work and don't have a pressure gauge.
It runs great while it's hot. just when you stop it just spins over and no fire. takes about five minutes to crank. Just trying to get idea of what to look for or try.

No worries, there are no time limits here. What you will need to do is to rent a gauge from an auto parts store. Then with the fuel system primed up using the bulb, connect the gauge to part 19 in the diagram. When you turn the key on and the pump runs, you should see about 30 PSI on the gauge. If not, the fuel pump is sticking and it will need to be removed and cleaned.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/V-200%20%28EFI%29/0G303046%20THRU%200G760299/FUEL%20MANAGEMENT%20SYSTEM%28VAPOR%20SEPARATOR%29/parts.html

ok will give that a shot.
Could the injectors also be clogged. was going to try and run some seafoam through both tanks.

Great. Let me know what you get, and we can pick it up from there and get this engine running for you.

While at the auto parts store, pick up a compression tester gauge as well. Remove all 6 plugs, install the gauge in one cylinder, crank the engine over a few times and read the gauge. It should be over 90 PSI on all 6 cylinders.

ok will do.

Great, talk to you then.

Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
How do I get back with you. Or do I just get the info and get back on line. can get engine serial number and all then.BM

All you need to do is reply back to this thread, it will come straight to me and when I am online, I will reply back to you.

Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic