Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

03 Suzuki 115 blue and wires to power trim motor have

03 Suzuki 115 blue and...
03 Suzuki 115 blue and green wires to power trim motor have voltage when trim button pushed for up or down. motor will trim down but not up. replaced trim up relay did not help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: 03 115 Suzuki power trim will not trim up, when PTT buttons pushed both the blue and green wires get voltage
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/19/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What is the full model number on the outboard? Are you near the outboard now for a test?

This is Keith I can walk out to boat. where will I find the model number on the motor?

Hi Keith. It will be on a sticker on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard.

model 3SKXM2.4042K5

That's not it. The model number will have the numbers 115 someplace in the model number.

ok here it is 11501F-371487

That's not it either. How many wires do you have on the trim pump motor and what colors are those wires?

Blue for up and green for down

Okay take those wires off the trim solenoids. Jump blue to battery positive and green to battery negative and let me know if the trim motor does anything, or if it does nothing.

the only other numbers on the plate are DF115

Ok the motor will trim up. just an fyi I swapped the blue green wires from the respective solenoids and the problem moved to down so we replaced the up solenoid and no change in the issue.

Do both solenoids click when you hit up or down?

sir, both click

The solenoids do work as a matched set. Whenever you replace them you always replace them both at the same time. ​The way it works is when you hit trim up, the up solenoid applies power to the trim motor and the down solenoid applies ground. When you hit trim down they reverse, and the down solenoid applies power and the up solenoid now applies ground. When people hit trim up and the motor does not lift up they often will incorrectly replace that trim up solenoid thinking it's the problem. When instead what the problem really is, is a bad trim down solenoid that is not applying ground to the trim motor when hitting trim up. So you would always replace the solenoids as a set. Does that all make sense. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

That makes perfect sense! I should have known the opposite solenoid provided the ground for the system. I have used this site many times so I will make certain I rate you. we will change the down solenoid and check it before I rate that way we do not have to restart the chat session. thanks for your time

You actually do not have to restart the chat session. Our sessions never close out. Whether it's tomorrow or next year, you can reply back here at any time even after select a rating for my service. If you still do want to wait before putting through a rating for me I would only ask that you please do not forget about me. Many times a customer will take my answer, fix his boat, and then never come back to select a rating for me, which means that I never end up getting properly paid. Thanks again. -Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic