Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

I have aelectric conversion unit. seemed to be working fine

Hello. JA: Hello. How can I...
Hello.
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I have a###-##-####electric conversion unit.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: seemed to be working fine until now. Boat is on water. Activating the switch is usually pretty loud but now it sounded very weak, barely audible. Now does nothing
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: No, battery power is good
8/19/2017
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Have you checked voltage supply when switch is activated?

Where did you get the voltage supply to the unit?

I installed unit in 2010 and it has worked fine until now. I'm wondering if the macerator froze up. We have used the marine head for urine and rv toilet paper exclusively 99% of time. I'm trying to decide if a service kit vs motor replacement vs total replacement, the latter being the simplest.
Not a mechanic or plumber but i did do the install

Have you verified it is getting good voltage when the switch is turned to on position. This could be a case of a bad connection. We have to verify voltage to the pump before replacing. If you don't you could replace the motor and still have the same issue.

what is the easiest access to power supply and the motor? I can't make sense of the diagrams i found and its been so long since I've worked on it. I unscrewed the top and confirmed the switch sounds mecanically functional. Couldn't see anything else with top off.

Check voltage on the 2 wires coming into the pump. There should be a connection where you can check voltage. The other option is to remove the 4 screws at the base of the pump assembly and see if you have debris and that the motor turns freely.

I traced the wiring back to the source ,a small power bank. Confirmed power good. Found blown fuse to the toilet. I will replace, but fuse should not have blown unless something else wrong.
I will unscrew the 4 base screws and get back to you if still a problem. Thank you.

If the fuse is corroded or you have a bad connection it can blow fuse. If you have debris stuck in the mascerator it can cause the fuel to blow.

Keep me posted.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you....Tan

Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Metal impeller was jammed with what might have been a piece of plastic bag. Cleared that, replaced fuse, works fine. Happy wife ;-). Thank you for walking me through that. 5 stars.
Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician