Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I need some advice and probably some work done on my boat…

I need some advice...

I need some advice and probably some work done on my boat motor. It is a 1996 Johnson 112 XJ112TSLEDR.Here are the engine's issues:
1. For many years it has been difficult to start and getting worse the last few years.
2. This spring it would not start at all. I put new carburetor kits in both carburetors. Since then it starts but only with great effort but runs well once it is going. If stopped for 15 minutes it is again difficult to start but easier than when first started.
3. I was advised to try several things one of which was to clean the engine with a combustion chamber cleaner. This I did. I took it out the next day and found it no easier to start and for the first time ever it would not go much faster than an idle.
4. I was also advised to do a compression test after cleaning the engine. The two left cylinders are at 86 and 88 PSI the right are at 98 and 102. I was told that differences in compression could effect the functioning of the carburetors.
5. Three years ago I found water accumulating in the engine housing. I took it in to a shop and the mechanic said there was a crack in the water jacket. He did something to it but said it was only a band aid fix and that he could not repair it entirely. I have not notice any water since though.Questions:
1. Does the engine need to be rebuilt to solve the problem or is there something else wrong that could be fixed more easily?
2. Is the engine worth rebuilding, or does the crack in the cooling system doom it to the graveyard?
3. If a rebuild is the only solution about how much would it cost?Thank you,
Kerry Lambert

8/15/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Kerry, my name is***** read what you wrote. Is this crack leaking water externally on the engine?

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
I have not seen water seeping from anywhere it just would show up in the housing.
Phone call session started