Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2013 Yamaha F90, with 704 remote throttle control. RPM

Customer Question

2013 Yamaha F90, with 704 remote throttle control. RPM occasionally drops for a couple of seconds at low to medium RPM's. Stalls when this happens at idle. Is there diagnostic software as in automobiles to monitor throttle position signal. Not sure where to go with this.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 2 months ago.

There is software and a dedicated cable. It will allow the monitoring of the TPS. However what I would do first is to make sure all filters in the fuel system are clean. Next check the spark plugs, all should show a lean burn and no one plug should be grossly different. Next I would put a fuel injection pressure gauge on the top of the fuel rail. You can get a cheap one at a tool store or maybe rent one for a car parts store. Watch the fuel pressure while running and see if it drops below 35 pounds when the rpm drops.

Post back what you find.

Thanks