Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Did the repairs to both of the shift position and the

Customer Question
Hi Jason, did the repairs...
Hi Jason, did the repairs to both of the shift position and the interlock and it did fix that problem. Still the engine does not run as well. After 3K rpms wants to surge and looses power. Have fixed and replaced the TPS and tested. New injectors, plugs, and shift sensors. Not getting any more faults, except a single beep and an over rev at 3.5k rpms. My next thought is the ECU but pricey and hard to find any thoughts. Can add a video if that helps.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Boat
8/7/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning. Are you able to have the engine hooked up to the Diacom scan tool, do a recording, and send me a copy of that recording?

No, but we have one from one year ago. It is doing the same thing as last year. I can forward that to you. Would that help? In speaking with the marinas that looked at it last year, they said the over rev speed fault can only be caused by the crank position sensor not being read properly by the smart craft. I swapped position sensors, but I did not check the wiring.
I am not working on the boat now. I am at work. I do not have a scan tool. But am thinking of getting one. Is there one that shows crank position sensor sign wave.?

T​he scan from a year ago probably wouldn't mean anything as it was from last year, but I can certainly take a look at it. The scan tool I use is called Diacom. Click this link, this is it - http://www.rinda.com/marine/

As for the sign wave, no scan tool will do that. In order to see that you would need a lab scope/oscilloscope to read the waveform from the sensor directly.

Ok I will send what I have but won't until I get home tonight. I am going to test the for 5Volts and ground at the cam sensor.

Either way if you have diacom and hook it up to the computer you should be getting a fault code through the scan tool if you are getting a beep. The only time you would get a beep without an actual code is if either the ECM was bad or there was some kind of short circuit and the alarm was sounding on it's own.

Great I just ordered the scan tool will take three days to get it so let me get it set up and I will send you out the report once I have it.

Okay sounds good.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic