Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

It beeps when I turn the key but the engine won't turn over,

Customer Question

it beeps when I turn the key but the engine won't turn over
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: I have already ensured its in neutral, the kill switch is on, battery connectors are clean.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: its a 90hp merc
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why do you need the serial number? It's a 90HP mercury
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Because they have been making the 90 hp since the early seventies and they are all different. I have to know what model you have and they are all cataloged by serial number.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

If you don't have serial number I can do some trouble shooting. Locate the start solenoid on the engine and test for voltage on the yellow/red terminal of the solenoid with key in crank position. Do you have voltage?