Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a brand new 150 hp mercury four stroke motor and

Customer Question

I have a brand new 150 hp mercury four stroke motor and today I had a tubing rope get wrapped around the prop while only going half speed. I unwrapped it but yet it broke a little piece of my prop off. So I took off and it did fine until I throttled up to go faster and then it just revved up like normal but wouldn't go. So when I throttled down to qtr speed it ran fine. What could I have torn up other than the prop?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no maam
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

This actually sounds like you blew the hub inside the prop. Remove the prop and check the plastic insert there. You can knock it out the back side of the prop and inspect it for cracks. If you find any, just replace the center hub and you are ready to be on the water. The hub is designed to break if the prop gets caught on something so that you do not tear up a gear case.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would it still run in lower gear but not in hig her gear that is the what I blew out
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Yes. It would still run up to about 1/4 throttle or a bit lees.