Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a mercury 150 ..received a sensor warning today

Customer Question
I have a mercury...

I have a mercury 150 ..received a sensor warning today regarding throttle not fuctioning properly ...will have it checked but wanted to understand how immediate to service ..alarm did not go on when i restarted the boaat

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

While boating today...my sensor alarm went off ...with the message above regardinng the throttle ...when i got back to the dock and restarted the warning was no longer active ...do i still need to have it serviced immediately...

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not really

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
8/6/2017
Marine Mechanic: Charles, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Do you know what exactly the text read?

Would you please post the serial number of the engine?

Did the engine RPM slow down when this happened?

engine is a Verado 4-stroke / 150 HP. Serial Number is ***** Purchased in 2008, lightly used. Message was to the effect of "Throttle not functioning properly. Return to port immediately for service". Did not notice any change in RPM or throttle performance. When i returned to port and restarted, the alarm was no longer active and no message was appearing.

The fault will only show on the gauge when active. Since it was a "non-sticky" fault it cleared when the key was cycled.

On the 2008 there was an issue with a hose clamp that would corrode out and cause a throttle issue. The clamp is part 21 on this diagram. Check yours and make sure tha tit is still there and tight. The old ones were made of steel and would rust out over a few years and cause a throttle fault. Also check that rubber boot just below the clamp and make sure that it is still intact and there are not any loose spots around the base of it.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercury/150%20VERADO%20%284-STROKE%29%284%20CYL.%29/1B517159%20%26%20Up/Induction%20Components/parts.html

thank you

Your welcome. Let me know what you see there and if we need to dig deeper into the system.