Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Have a 95 175hp evinrude had new waterpump put on boat runs…

Customer Question
Have a 95 175hp...

Have a 95 175hp evinrude had new waterpump put on boat runs fine when hook to water hose but when I put it in the lake runs for about 5 minutes and dies won't start after

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

95 175hp evinrude ran fine last year had new water pump put on if you put boat in water runs for about 5 minutes and dyes & wont start you can hook to a Waterhouse runs fine

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Kenny my name is***** engine is loosing either spark or fuel, so step one is figuring out which one it's missing. Do you have a timing light so we can check for spark when the engine will not start.

It gettin fuel & spark after it shits for 10 or 15 minutes it starts and run fine as long as I'm hook to a water hose

There is a right way and a whole bunch of wrong ways to check for spark. How exactly are you checking for spark output? Are you grounding the plugs to the block or doing something else?

ground plug to the block motor runs fine as long as your hook to a wzterhosr

Is it not running at all when the boat is in the water?

It run for about 5 minutes or about ;0yards

And then it stalls out?

It dyes won't start till it shits for 10 or 15 minutes

You need a timing light to check spark the correct way. Do you have one or can you get your hands on one?

No I don't motor runs fine as long as it hook to a waterhose

That's because the engine is not under a load and there is also no backpressure on the exhaust when you are on the garden hose. When the boat is in the water it is both under a load as well as there is backpressure on the exhaust. That being said if you don't have a timing light then you don't have 1 of the many tools that will be needed to troubleshoot the problem. I don't know what you do or do not have for tools or outboard knowledge. Did you have any specific questions that you wanted me to answer or would you prefer If I explained how we would troubleshoot this in the shop, covering all bases?

I've got a car timing light

Okay that's fine. Where you need to start is first duplicate the problem, and then when it will not start hook up the timing light to the plug wires (all of them) and crank the engine over. You want to see if there is spark on any of them, none of them, or all of them. Are you near the outboard now to do this or do you want to get back with me later?