Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Formula 242ls, when I accelerate is hesitates as if if not…

Customer Question
Formula 242ls, when I...

Formula 242ls, when I accelerate is hesitates as if if not getting enough gas...When out od the water with muffs on is doesn't do it

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

1989 formula 242ls idols fine, but in water it hesitates. If I stay on it it eventually gets on plane. Though maybe bad gas, but put fuel stabilizer in still doesn't correct. Funny when not in the water no problem, soon as I but in the lake hesitates

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
8/4/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Which engines do you have in the boat? How old is the fuel itself? Have you ever personally seen the engines run correctly?

Just put fuel in it, Was running fine then started it up and it hesitates when I get on it. Was running fine.

When you say was running fine do you mean with the boat in the water and the engines under a load? Did the engines make at least 4400 RPMS with the boat in gear when the engines were running fine?

almost sounds like not getting air. ...I stopped the boat re-started it and the problem started. Was running fine. At first thought I had a prop problem.....No power....In the water ......had the boat for 3 years never a problem until now. I put ears on it ran water into it and it seems fine. But put it in the water (lake) the problem starts....Could it be a exhaust problem

I ​still don't know which engines you have. I asked you in my first response which engines you had, but you never told me.

Sorry 1989 Merc Crusier 330 HP in board

Are they carbureted or fuel injected? Do you have the serial number handy on one of them?

Dominick
Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic