Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Looking for a replacement for our Furuno GPS, GP-32 and our

Customer Question

looking for a replacement for our Furuno GPS, GP-32 and our freestanding computer navigation system with Nobletech. We would like to reuse the antenna. but both screens are going. We have gotten used to the larg computer screen.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.
Customer: The computer monitor is leaking a sticky substance, and the furuno display is streaky and shows signs of water infiltration.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?
Customer: We have replaced our bimini and the pilot station gets a lot more water and moisture. I think it is time for a new waterproof Nav station.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

What is the model numbers of the antennas that you would like to reuse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry for the delay, had to go to the boat.Antenna Unite GPA-017, Antenna Pins: TNC-P-3, WIre: 3D-2V, 10M 5.3
GPS Receiver: 12 Channel parallel, 12 satellite tracking, WAAS: 1 Channel, Rx: 1575.42 MHZ, RX Code: C/A code WAAS, Postition fixing system: State Kalman Filter.We would like a true GPS chart plotter, removable (to take home for planning) with a large display screen..
but
If we can't we are considering the Furuno 33 or 39, as a replacement. Suggestion on which would be better and why would be appreciated. If we can't get a GPS Chart Plotter removable with a large screen.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Both the 33 and the 39 will do what you are looking for and are removable if mounted on a gimble bracket. The screen size is kind of on the smaller size at only 5" but it is a true nav instrument. If you were looking for one that would do depth, fish, and nav, there are several more options and most now have installed GPS antennas so there is no need to an external one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Charles, Thanks for getting back to me. I now have a few more ?'s.
1) the 33 and 39 have a screen size of 4.3" and 4.2". You mentioned a 5" screen. Has this years model gotten larger?
2) the gp 1870F is the chart plotter that I was referring to as a "true" chart plotter. Could it be taken to the house and used to plan a cruise?
3) do the gp 33 and 39 have internal antennas? From what I have seen on line they both have external.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The screen size of the GP Is was going from memory and for some reason was thinking it was a 5" screen.

Your 1870 can be taken inside the house, powered up and then you can use the map and the curser to plot out a cruise or even mark dive spots.

The 33 and the 39 do still take external antennas. The one you have is a 12 channel, but should you choose to up grade, there are a few out there that can do 16 channels.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Charles,
Thanks again for getting back to me. Does the 1870 come with charts and if they do, is there an up grade for more detailed charts?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Yes the maps are upgradable. You would want the C-Map 4d+ map pack. You can get one for the are that you boat mostly in and it will show different depth changes, ridges and possible even tide information