Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Tried to start the motor, motor did not turn and saw spark/

Customer Question

tried to start the motor, motor did not turn and saw spark/ arc off of starting battery. . has been suggested that faulty/ seized starter motor may have caused problem, took off motor cover and saw starter motor was still engaged/ up
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: likely unconnected, but I just replaced the starter battery
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What are you working on exactly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, my name is ken. Motor is one of two Yamaha 160s, other started fine
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

H​I Ken, get I get the model number as it reads on the tag so I can identify your Yamaha

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I was not nearby the boat, my error as well, Yamaha 150s. LF 150TXRC
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is photo of the tag
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay got it. Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
know the basics
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay good. Are you near the boat now and read to work? Also, do you have a helper as you will likely need a helper to turn the key while you take measurements.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Getting the meter and helper
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay just let me know when you are ready to start.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, assuming measuring voltage on starter motor when trying to start the motor? Need I worry about the arcing I saw at the battery last I tried?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

W​e are going to check a few things actually, including the starter. Are you still getting arcing at the battery?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Haven't tried since last night, happened twice in a row then
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

I'm on the phone with another customer. I'll be back with you shortly.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay i'm back.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am back now with the helper
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Busy again?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay I am here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We want to first measure voltage of starter when starting or?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Start by getting some sand paper, disconnect both battery cables. Sand down the cable ends and the battery terminals until everything is nice and clean and shiney, then reattach the cables, turn the key and let me know if 1. the arcing goes away and 2. If there is any difference.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Did you do it yet or not yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
done
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Any change? Did the arcing stop? Did the engine turn over?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well, just finished starting and actually strange enough it worked without arcing. Strange because the other motor had started before this with no problems.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay so are you back up and running?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome. The arcing was caused by a poor connection between the cable ends and battery terminals. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason