Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Tried to start the motor, motor did not turn and saw spark/

Customer Question
Tried to start the...

Tried to start the motor, motor did not turn and saw spark/ arc off of starting battery. . has been suggested that faulty/ seized starter motor may have caused problem, took off motor cover and saw starter motor was still engaged/ up

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Likely unconnected, but I just replaced the starter battery

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
8/3/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote but I do not see any kind of model information. What are you working on exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, my name is ken. Motor is one of two Yamaha 160s, other started fine

H​I Ken, get I get the model number as it reads on the tag so I can identify your Yamaha

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, I was not nearby the boat, my error as well, Yamaha 150s. LF 150TXRC

Okay got it. Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take voltage measurements?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
know the basics

Okay good. Are you near the boat now and read to work? Also, do you have a helper as you will likely need a helper to turn the key while you take measurements.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Getting the meter and helper

Okay just let me know when you are ready to start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, assuming measuring voltage on starter motor when trying to start the motor? Need I worry about the arcing I saw at the battery last I tried?

W​e are going to check a few things actually, including the starter. Are you still getting arcing at the battery?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Haven't tried since last night, happened twice in a row then

I'm on the phone with another customer. I'll be back with you shortly.

Okay i'm back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am back now with the helper
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Busy again?

Okay I am here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We want to first measure voltage of starter when starting or?

Start by getting some sand paper, disconnect both battery cables. Sand down the cable ends and the battery terminals until everything is nice and clean and shiney, then reattach the cables, turn the key and let me know if 1. the arcing goes away and 2. If there is any difference.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay

Did you do it yet or not yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
done

Any change? Did the arcing stop? Did the engine turn over?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, just finished starting and actually strange enough it worked without arcing. Strange because the other motor had started before this with no problems.

Okay so are you back up and running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks

You are very welcome. The arcing was caused by a poor connection between the cable ends and battery terminals. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason