Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

No cranking to start motor and trim not operating up or down

Customer Question

no cranking to start motor and trim not operating up or down 2001 Volvo penta 4.3 gl
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: motor started and trim worked when launched..trimmed motor down but gauge not working and maybe held it down too long.. trim quit and motor started to crank and then nothing
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: all gauges work except trim never has
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

First use a multimeter to test the voltage at the battery. Make sure that it is still at least 12V. Then on the top of the engine there should be a 50A breaker. Check both sides of it for power. If there is not any power at all to it, there is also a 90A fuse on the starter, check it to ensure that there is still at least 12V to both sides of it. If there is not, replace that breaker.