Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Im buying a bertram with cat 3208 300hp engines. Mechanic is

Customer Question

hi im buying a bertram with cat 3208 300hp engines. Mechanic is selling it. Syas it has 2000 hours. What do I need to check re the engines? How much is an oil change? How about major mainteneance at 2000? Thanks! James
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: not really. I just am going to have to buy the boat without an engine survey.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

H​I James, my name is***** read what you wrote. Are you going to be able to sea trial this boat in order to determine engine performance before you put an offer down on the boat?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
its in va and im in ca
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

You plan on buying this boat without hiring a surveyor to go over it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
perhaps can we go back to my speficic questions? how many hours mechanic labor for an oil change? how about a major maintenance window at 2000 hours, valves, aftercoolers, etc.? how much parts and labor for a major?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what obvious things would i look for to locate problems that can be done without an engine survey?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Huh?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Another mechanic?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
24 hours?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm buying the boat tiday