Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Marine Technician, Certified in MERCRUISER AND MERCURY OUTBOARDS (Current), EVINRUDE, SUZUKI, YAMAHA, HONDA.
99593677

I have a 1964 craft corsair with an inboard gm v6. Boat was

Customer Question

I have a 1964 chris craft corsair with an inboard gm v6. Boat was running good everything perfect then all of a sudden while driving forward at half throttle the boat just revved up and quit moving. I've looked at everything and can't get forward to work. Reverse works fine tho
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: I think it's a 64 but maybe it's a 65 or 66
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Have you disconnected the shift cable and tried shifting manually?

Do you know the make and model of your transmission?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe it's a omc outdrive
Expert:  Tan replied 2 months ago.

Sorry I have no info on a sterndrive that old.

If it were straight inboard I could help.

I will opt out.

Expert:  Matthew John replied 2 months ago.
Are you able to remove and inpect the propeller and supply pics of any wear around thrust washer and prop nut washer... Also can you inspect the gear oil and hold a sample?
Can you make sure the drive also tilts/ trims all the way in?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does trim all the way in yes

Ok, thanks! You will be looking for a slipping rubber prop bush in Prop Hub. Look for pieces of rubber and wear like i mentioned earlier. Has the diameter of the Prop worn down? Have you hit anything lately? Is the Prop as old as the boat? Can you get a secondhand prop??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've checked everything and I don't see any rubber wear. It has a new prop on it. I don't know what's wrong with it

Yes mate,

I would probably suggest to drain the drive oil and see if there is any metal particles in the oil. If all good...Make sure the gear shift is making full travel forward, this may involve disconnecting any linkages. Replace and linkage or cable that is sloppy. If cable and linkage is up to scratch, adjust it to make it travel closer into forward. This will take away bit of valuable travel away from reverse so don't adjust too much and just test after adjustment running on the flushers. If this won't work, the prop will need to be removed, then the bearing carrier and inspect the clutch-dog and gears for damage, but this would have showed up on inspection of the gear oil.

Regards,

Please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!