Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a 2014 Mercury and it cranks over but will not start…

Customer Question
I have a 2014...

I have a 2014 Mercury and it cranks over but will not start I replaced the furel pump and if I test the power at the fuel pump it only has 12 volts when the ignition is in the start position never when it is iin the run position which makes me think the ECM or the ignition itself

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

The engine was hooked to a computer and showed no error codes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
8/2/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Which engine do you have exactly, do you have the serial number on it so I can ID it.

OR605187

Got it. Are you working on this engine yourself or is a shop working on it for you? Which computer are you using?

I own a boatyard so our mechanic is working on it. I took it to another yard that is a mercury dealer for them to hook it to the computer and they told me that it did not show any codes

Has anybody checked the crank position sensors to see if they are working?

We do not have the specs for the crank position sensor do you have them
the plugs are getting power and firing and the lowpressure fuel pump is working but its like we are not getting the highpressure pump to work so the injectors dont work properly

Yes no problem, I can upload the test procedure for you. I do have another question for you. The ECM supplies both power and ground to the fuel pump. The blue wire is power, the blue/black is ground. Instead of measuring the pigtail itself. If you stick your meter negative to battery ground and meter positive to blue, and crank the engine over, what do you get voltage? Then doing just the opposite. If you stick meter positive to the positive battery terminal, and meter negative to the blue/black wire, and crank the engine over, what do you show for voltage?