Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Marine Technician, Certified in MERCRUISER AND MERCURY OUTBOARDS (Current), EVINRUDE, SUZUKI, YAMAHA, HONDA.
99593677

I have a 2007 Volvo penta gxi-h Will not run unless you pump

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Volvo penta gxi-h
Will not run unless you pump throttle. No idle.
Replaced fuel pump
Replaced ecm
Replaced crank sensor
Replaced tps
Replaced iac
Replaced wire harness.
Replaced cap rotor plugs.
I do have spark.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Matthew John replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer ! I will be assisting you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok great
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also have 60psi at fuel rail when fuel pump primes for the 3 seconds.

Sound like it's been an extensive troubleshooting process. I hope I can give you some ideas so we can make it work!

Were you able to attach a Fuel Pressure gauge yet, to the Low Pressure and Then the High Pressure Test Points?

Ok! When you are pumping the throttle to try and make it run, does the fuel pressure drop off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yea I believe low was around 6psi and high at rail was 60psi. I have not checked fuel pressure while running pumpin throttle

Yeah, maybe you can check that for us if you get a chance... And maybe while you are troubleshooting the fuel system, take a portable fuel supply with a primer bulb and use that as the fuel supply just to isolate any fuel supply problems you may have with the boat.

Regards,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok will check tonite and let u know.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Just a quick follow-up to see how you went...

Please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No luck ran portable tank did make a difference no idle still. . I have fuel pressure when I do get it running by pumping throttle.
May pull injectors and have cleaned.

Yeah, maybe you can perform a Cylinder Drop Test...

Pull off each Fuel Injector Plug alternately to see if each cylinder is producing power.

If it helps you in any way... Most times when I have thought to look at the Injectors being at fault it is usually the coil. It could show up as having spark, but when under load (Leads on Plugs) broke down.

I would normally get the Injectors serviced at around 750 hours of operating anyway, maybe 500, depending on fuel quality.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did try a different ignition module that didn't work.
Only reason thinking injectors is because I did have a bad fuel pump and was thing paint. Hips from the pump may have clogged injectors. I will try to check spark plug leads some time this week.
Thanks

Cheers!