Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

My boat has lost a lot of power, and I've taken it to a

Customer Question
My boat has lost...

My boat has lost a lot of power , and I've taken it to a mechanic and he said it was the distributor, and so he put a new one in and tuned it , and said it was good to pick it up , we picked it up and took it to the lake and has not made one difference since we took it there

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?

Not that I no of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Boat
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
It is a 350 Chevy with a Holley carby
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Marine Mechanic: Matthew John, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic

Hi my name is***** to JustAnswer ! I will be assisting you.

Are you able to attach a portable fuel tank or use an alternative fuel supply to isolate the problem from being your boats fuel supply?

How where the fuel filters? Any water present?

Did your mechanic give the engine a compression test? Does the engine run rough? Is the problem decreased top end or sluggish to get up?? What is the max RPM now and what was it before the problem announced itself?

The engine runs fine , no compression test idles fine , got nothing down bottom , lost a lot of top speed

Ok, thanks! I would take it for a run with another fuel tank with a primer bulb inline (like an outboard tank) take it for a run and see what it does. Also, you may be able to check if there is a gauze filter at the fuel hate connection to the holly. If you can... You could also adapt a fuel pressure gauge to that point so you definitely know you have the right fuel pressure, around 7 or 8 PSI.

Regards,

Fuel Line Connection

You can also run the boat at around mid-range and at the distributer, use insulated pliers to alternately pull off each lead one at a time to and observe the engine RPM drop and increase when put back on. If no RPM decrease is noticed, you know that cylinder is not producing any power. This is referred to as a Cylinder Drop Test.

Also, make sure the prop is not worn and the bottom of the boat is clean.

Please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Hi there,

Just a quick follow-up to see how you went...

Regards,

Matthew John
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Mechanic