Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

Boat

Mercury 9.9 was running fine. Now it wont start, Not much

Customer Question
Mercury 9.9 was running fine...
Mercury 9.9 was running fine. Now it wont start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Not much else to tell. It will almost start but wont. Was running fine on Friday. Carb was rebuilt this spring
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I use non ethenal
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Boat
8/1/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Mercury outboards are cataloged by serial number. Do you have that number handy so I can see exactly which version of the 9.9 you have.

OR493269

O​kay got it. Do you have a timing light or a spark checking tool to check for spark output? Do you have any starting fluid? Are you near the outboard now?

I only have starting fluid

If you spray starting fluid into the carb will the engine start or attempt to start?

How do I do that?

Do you know what a carburetor is?

Just not sure how to access it?

Lets try a different direction. Is this engine electric start or pull start? Is it tiller control or remote control?

Pull start, Tiller control. I had the carb rebuilt this spring.

Is the emergency stop switch clip in place?

Dont have one on this model

All outboards are required to have these by law. The parts and service manual also says that your engine has one. Why does your outboard not have one, was it removed by somebody? Can you take a picture of the front of the engine for me so I can see the front of the lower cowl.

Not close to the motor. It has a red kill switch on the tiller and a run or off swich on the motor. Is that what you are talking about?
Theirs nothing like whats on a Jet Ski

The run/off switch. There should be a clip in there. Is the clip in place? What position is the switch flipped to?

To run
Its almost turned over. Just wont run

The engine is either missing spark or missing fuel. Can you get a timing light so we can check and see if it has spark on both cylinders?

I will have to buy one. Wont be till later this afternoon or tommorow. How do I contact you when I have one?

J​ust reply right back here like you have been. Your replies come directly to me.

I would like to try the starting fluid first. Is their any trick to get it into the carb properly?

Just drill a little hole in the plastic air box that is on front of the carb. Then make sure you have one of those small plastic straws for the can of starting fluid. Simply stick the straw in the hole you drilled, then have a helper pull the rope while you give it a blast of starting fluid.

Dont want to be drilling holes. What about pulling the spark plug and squirting the starting fluid their?

T​hat won't do anything. Drilling a small hole in plastic isn't going to hurt anything. If you really don't want to do it then you need a timing light.

OK

Keep me posted.

Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic