Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

I have a f150 trim and tilt don't work,changed the relay…

Customer Question
I have a f150 trim...
I have a f150 trim and tilt don't work,changed the relay /solenoid now just get a click at the relay when switches are activated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Boat
8/1/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. When you hit the trim button in either direction can you hear the trim motor run?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks jayson,I'm mouse.when either switch is activated I just get a click at the solenoid.

Hi Mouse. Are you near the outboard now for a test?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

okay what kinds of questions did you have for me, how is it I can help you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you have any advice on what is wrong ?

There are only 3 parts to the trim system. There are the trim buttons, the trim relay, ,and the electric trim pump motor. If the relay clicks that means the switches are working. If the relay is new then I will assume that it is good and not a bad part. That only leaves the electric trim motor itself as being bad. I asked if you were near the outboard now so we could test it. The trim pump motor has a blue and a green wire that run from the motor to the relay. If you disconnect those 2 wires and jump blue to battery positive and green to negative, if the motor was any good it would trim up. If you reversed the wires and stuck green to negative and blue to positive, if the motor was any good, it would trim down. Does that make sense to you. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please tell me I'm not paying for this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The motor works fine when jumped out.just clicks from relay .
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing else ?

Well you were not near the outboard now, and I told you what the problem was likely going to be based on the information you told me. You never told me that you already jumped the motor. If you are not near the motor now and ready to actually test things then what is it you want from me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's your reply ? Thank for your help.