Boat

Have Boat Questions? Ask a Boat Repair Expert.

My shifter is very stiff and does not go into nuteral, i…

Customer Question
My shifter is very...

My shifter is very stiff and does not go into nuteral

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.

I cant get my shifter to shift into nutural are my cables bad or is it the shift unit it if very stiff

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?

No other that the fact the shif unit itself is a bit worn ie; trim switch/button

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Boat
7/31/2017
Marine Mechanic: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 11 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What brand is everything?

Quicksilver shifter and 150 mariner Motor approx 1985

Okay got it. The first thing to do would be to simply disconnect the throttle cables from the shifter and then see if the shifter moves freely with the cables disconnected, which would indicate either bad cables or some stiff linkage on the motor. Or see if the shifter is still tight with the cables disconnected, which would indicate a bad shifter. Has that been done yet?