Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My shifter is very stiff and does not go into nuteral, i

Customer Question

my shifter is very stiff and does not go into nuteral
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: i cant get my shifter to shift into nutural are my cables bad or is it the shift unit it if very stiff
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: no other that the fact the shif unit itself is a bit worn ie; trim switch/button
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. What brand is everything?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Quicksilver shifter and 150 mariner Motor approx 1985
Expert:  Jason replied 2 months ago.

Okay got it. The first thing to do would be to simply disconnect the throttle cables from the shifter and then see if the shifter moves freely with the cables disconnected, which would indicate either bad cables or some stiff linkage on the motor. Or see if the shifter is still tight with the cables disconnected, which would indicate a bad shifter. Has that been done yet?